"Mary John" selected for the White Ravens 2017 catalog
Ana Pessoa has once again been selected to feature in the White Ravens catalogue, with her most recent book "Mary John". Together with this entry, the committee has written a few words about the plot and the author's writing style:
"In contemporary Portuguese young adult literature, the novels of Ana Pessoa (b. 1982) take up an exceptional place. The author is masterfully adept at describing the cosmos of maturing teens, with its challenges and dramas, turbulences, moments of happiness, disappointments, and catastrophes. (...) She writes in an authentic language that captures the protagonists’ sense of life and closely orients itself to their pulse. In an astonishing way, her newest book does all this and more. “Mary John” sets itself apart from the author’s previous novels by its even more coherent storytelling, its undisguised, intense language, and the deep insight it offers into the emotional world of the protagonist and first-person narrator. Maria João, called Mary John, writes a single, long letter to Júlio “Pirata”, her first, unrequited love. She openly writes of friendship, longing, desire, and sexuality and the painful process of dealing with feelings such as rejection and loneliness."
- "Mountains" gets Special Mention at the BolognaRagazzi Awards
- "Supergiant" is a finalist of Premio Fundación Cuatrogatos 2018 (Mexico)
- Madalena Matoso and Yara Kono selected for the Bologna's Illustrators Exhibition 2018
- "Supergiant" highly recommended in Chile
- "Nobody Passes" wins two more prizes
- "Mary John" selected for the White Ravens 2017 catalog
- “Nobody Passes” wins Gustav Heinemann Peace Prize
- Ana Pessoa selected for Aarhus39
- Joana Estrela wins "Best Portuguese Illustrator Award"
- 'With time' and 'Supergiant' included in the FNLIJ 2016 Selection